06 August, 2010

Flying the Line

Yesterday we got to fly to another dirt strip and I was looking at what it does to the plane when we land on unimproved surfaces and it is pretty scary.

This is the main axle that holds on the main gear and you can see how it has been peppered with rocks. MX wraps up all the brake lines but you can still see that the valves and everything get really beat up.

Here are some of the vent lines that are normally pointing straight down and ROUND. This plane also had a rock hit the wing, or so they think it was a rock and it put a 2”x8” gash in the leading edge. So I really wonder what it is really costing to bring the beans and bullets to the soldiers as we are beating up the plans pretty good.

I just added up our numbers and we have hauled over 556,000 lbs! These numbers may not sound high but half a million pounds in a C-130 over 30 days is a LOT! In fact that is more than I hauled during a 90 day deployment to Iraq.

The good news is that I am staying busy and doing a lot of good moving everything around over here. Hope everyone is doing well and I will see you all soon as I am about a month out from being home. Aloha!

No comments: